Monday, 31 October 2011

John Holtam WIP / Robin-Lee Hall

I have been working a little more on this portrait. I popped it into a frame so that I could show it at the Ashford Art Club exhibition and, last Thursday, I took it along to the critique evening which follows each exhibition.

The guest artist conducting the critique was Robin-Lee Hall, member of the Royal Society of Portrait Painters, winner of the Ondaatje Prize for Portraiture in 2010, and teacher at the National Portrait Gallery, The National Gallery and the Art Academy. Robin's critiques are always insightful and conducted with enthusiasm, kindness and humour.

Robin suggested that I lighten the background to the bottom left of the painting, which I have now done. I had intended to have some lost and found edges, but lightening the background here has pushed the arm forward, and I am pleased with the result. Both the arm and the background need a little more work.


By the way, I have been trying to persuade Robin to hold a portrait workshop. She has ageed to do so, in spite of her busy schedule, provided I organise it. Please drop me a line if you are interested.

No comments:

Post a Comment