Sunday, 14 August 2011

Quick celebrity pastels - Michael Douglas

I love painting famous faces. They are so familiar to us, and watching people's reaction to them enables me to assess whether I have caught a good likeness in a more reliable way than when I am painting other portraits. I like to use these famous faces to test my improvement.

Of course, there are problems with painting celebrites, the biggest one being copyright issues. Whilst the restrictions which copyright laws place on artists might be frustrating, photographers are artists too, and their work should be respected.

These are very quick pastel paintings produced for my own educational purposes and not for any profit whatsoever, so I'm hoping it is okay to show them. I'm giving the original photographers credit here and if any of them want me to remove these images, I shall oblige.

The first one is of Michael Douglas from a photo by Planton. The original photograph looks as if it has been "de-wrinkled" a fair bit, so I'm not sure it gives a true representation of Michael Douglas as he is now. This is another problem with painting celebrities - retouching tends to rob them of their essential character.

However, I'm not going to blame the photographer - the likeness I have achieved leaves a lot to be desired. It was done a while ago, so hopefully you will see some sort of improvement when I post new images.

No comments:

Post a Comment