Friday, 22 July 2011

Lucian Freud - RIP

I would imagine that many people have strong views about the work of Lucian Freud. It's a bit like Marmite - you either love it or hate it.

I have to say, hand on heart, I'm not in the "love it" camp. I find some of his paintings make for rather uncomfortable viewing, which doesn't mean I think it's bad art, but which means I probably wouldn't want it on my walls. Also (in my extremely humble opinion) he didn't always get a good likeness. I can barely recognise Kate Moss in his "Nude 2002" portrait of her (although it sold for £3.9 million, so what do I know!) and, be honest, would you have recognised Elizabeth I if he hadn't stuck a crown on her head?

Having said all that, I admire the way in which he handled paint and that he approached portrait painting with absolute integrity, and I have no doubt that he was one of the greatest artists of our time.

No comments:

Post a Comment